LEADERS IN BUILDING LASTING VALUE
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. (NYSE: AVB) is a publicly held real estate investment trust (REIT) with a long-term track record of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing distinctive apartment homes in some of the best U.S. markets. Driven by our purpose of creating a better way to live and firmly guided by our core values ─ a commitment to integrity, a focus on continuous improvement, and a spirit of caring ─ we invest in making communities stronger and build value for the long term.
We understand what it takes to bring sites through the development process while minimizing risk along the way. Development is a local business and that’s why we maintain 11 regional offices – four in the New York metro area alone – each fully staffed with a team of professionals in development, construction and property operations. Our approach to development includes:
- Development by Consensus. We recognized that involving a wide range of stakeholders –community organizations, neighbors, neighborhood groups and local officials – makes for the best outcome. That’s why we have a local development team on the ground.
- Building it Right. We invest the time and resources to ensure that each of our communities meets exacting standards for quality design and construction. As a REIT, our goal is to own and manage for the long term, so we don’t cut corners. We engage expert architects, engineers and urban planners to create a unique design for each community. We have our own in-house construction management that oversees all aspects of construction including selection of local contractors, logistics, and scheduling. The results is a community that is built on time, on budget and, most importantly, leaves a lasting positive impact on the local community.
- A Commitment to Sustainability. AvalonBay is committed to responsible, sustainable development. From cleaner air to smarter landscaping, responsible recycling to transit-minded locations, AvalonBay is applying innovative, sustainable approaches to building our communities. In 2015, AvalonBay was awarded the prestigious NAREIT Leader in the Light Award in recognition of excellence in our practices and a sustained commitment to social and environmental responsibility. Similarly, AvalonBay has achieved GreenStar recognition through the GRESB (Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark) for proven performance and efficiency across our construction and operations footprint. For more information about our sustainability efforts see our most recent Corporate Responsibility Report.
- No Surprises. We understand that each development opportunity is different and presents its own unique opportunities and challenges along the way. Since we have a long-term outlook on our investments, we are able to provide a commitment early on, stick with it, and not overreact to economic, market or other changes. Our focus throughout is assuring a successful completion and delivering on our promises.
- Strong Balance Sheet. Proven Track Record. Our strategy of growing through development, redevelopment and acquisitions is supported by a solid financial foundation. Our capital management strategy emphasizes matching long-term investments with long-term capital and focuses on accessing the most cost-effective mix of capital from a variety of sources. We have a track record of maintaining low leverage and healthy debt service coverage, and producing sector-leading dividend growth.
COMMITTED TO GIVING BACK
AvalonBay is committed to being a good neighbor and giving back to the communities where we build and operate. We do this through charitable giving, community partnerships, and volunteerism. By way of example, our construction, development and resident services teams have volunteered their time and effort on multiple Habitat for Humanity build sites near Sheepshead Bay and other neighborhoods still recovering from the devastating impacts of Hurricane Sandy.
© AvalonBay - All rights reserved.